Friday, April 1, 2011

Dining ala celibataire

[ Posted in jocylfroot.tumblr.com]


I just got back from a delicious date with myself at Teriyaki Boy Eastwood. It’s been quite a while since I took me out to really experience food and savour the flavours as it touches and caress my discriminating pallette.
Since my PIL (partner in life) is out today, and not only was I was feeling rather starved after my 9 hour shift I was also craving for something… ocean-y (seafood??), but not too salty, with a subtle sweetness, something sharp but juicy.. but I also wanted something rich and creamy with a little tang and crunch. Plus, I didn’t have that much cash to burn for seafood.
I strolled around my second home to ponder and decide where to satisfy my cravings, I had that mild dilemna as I walked from 1880 building to 1800 building; when I saw it. Teriyaki Boy and its bright yellow logo. Hello Japanese food!
Shrimp! I immediately thought I wanted tempura, the sauce was sharp enough… but hmm… I needed more personality. It’ll take more than normal Tempura to make this date really delicious. And since I would be dining solo, I decided to try something different.


It took me a good 10 minutes or so to actually decide what to get, I’ve had two refills of iced tea before I decided on Gyoza and Tempura Tuna Sashimi Tartare. The latter promised to be spicy whilethe former was some sort of a Japanese variant of the fried siomai. I was about to finalize it when I saw the Kani Salad. Japanese Mayo! rich creamy, has a little tang and has that sweet married to the brine appeal. Plus it had Kani and fresh shrimp. Perfect.
I wanted to take a picture of the food, which, as far as I can remember, I last did when I was 15 and blogging about Mr. Kebab. I was not into the whole “I’ll take a picture of what I’m eating and I’ll post it on facebook so you know what goes into my body” thing; but for blogging purposes, I was willing to make an exception, plus, the salad was so colorful with the cucumber slaws, kani, mayo and roe. Unfortunately, my phone battery died on me even before I got to snap a photo of the Tempura Tuna Sashimi Tartare.
(the photo below is from Google Images)



The Kani salad did not disappoint, I wasn’t surprised that I finished it off. The amount of Kani was just right, not too much to have it overwhelm the mild flavor and fresh crunch of the cucumber, nor was it scrimped. You can taste the brineyness of the fresh shrimp complimenting the rich sweetness and tart of the Japanese mayo.


The Tempura Tuna Sashimi Tartare was pretty decent but was not spicy enough, you can barely feel the bite of the wasabe or whatever it was they used. It sort of tasted like wasabe. The raw Tuna’s soft but firm texture was perfect with the crunchy tempura flakes pepperring it. The Japanese Mayo added a very light hint of sweet and salt. Scallion garnish added that bite and sharp attitude to the dish.
Overall, it was pretty good dining experience. Good enough that I had to order steamed rice.
Cost: Php 353.00 (with refillable iced tea)
(This post was originally created as a note on my Facebook page on December 4, 2010)

No comments: