Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gyaru and Ulzzang made me realize how the Philippines is still a colony

Today I was browsing through the online shops in Facebook looking for floral dresses and romantically bohemian inspired looks. I wrote for an Aussie Fashion Blog (http://rarepremiere.rare.li) from January up till the runway seasons of New York Fashion Week, London Fashion Week, Paris Fashion Week, etc so I became extra aware of the Fashion trends.

Now, my boss, she sent me all these magazines to grab photos from. Like Vogue, Elle, Tatler, Marie Claire, Cosmo etc. I was tasked to write something about D&G going retro and I fell head over heels inlove with D&G's SS 2011 Campaign. Tell me you don't think these are gorgeous!? If this doesn't scream SPRING-SUMMER i dunno what does.

Trends for SS have always been frisky, fun and full of color but this year, the florals are just so much more funner-est (notice the redundancy for emphasis!)

So anywhoooots... there I was browsing and browsing looking for clothes that were similar to these trends from the D&G S/S 2011 Campaign when I came across some dresses which were just so uber pretty.





 And I thought that they'd look really good on me (ehem! narcissism...) since I just got my hair permed... (--,)

I saw somewhere that this was called "Gyaru"...

I googled "Gyaru Fashion" and this is what I found out. Gyaru literally means gal and there are different types of Gyaru, like:

Ganguro: fake tan and bleached hair. I couldn't imagine myself in this look its cute but super costume-y
Hime-Gyaru: princess-y fashion with lots of princess blonde hair, and frills, pleats, ruffles, lace and chiffon on clothes. I think this one has the best fashion among all Gyarus.
Then there's the normal Gyaru like the cute-sy one on the left which basically any girl could pull off. There are other kinds but these are the most prominent types.


I kinda got confused with Korean Ulzzang, Ulzzang literally means "best-face" and thought they kinda looked the same... there are differences and a Gyaru will be affronted to be called an Ulzzang and vice versa. For the life of me I cannot tell much of the difference except maybe that Ulzzangs don't really go all out on the Barbie look.. check this post to see for yourself. But anyhow, I reckon both looks are aimed to appear Doll-like.

So then I came to a conclusion that Korean and Japs have a love-hate relationship being that Japan colonized Korea a while back and ravished their land and their ladies as they did the Philippines. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

In 1910 Japan effectively annexed Korea by the Japan-Korea Annexation Treaty. While the legality of the treaty is still asserted by Japan, it is generally not accepted in Korea because it was not signed by the Emperor of Korea as required and violated international convention on external pressures regarding treaties...
 ...After the annexation, Japan set out to repress all Korean tradition and culture, develop and implement reforms for their benefit. European-styled transport and communication networks were established across the nation in order to extract the resources and labor of the Korean people; these networks were almost all destroyed later during the Korean War. The banking system was consolidated and the Korean currency abolished. The Japanese removed the Joseon hierarchy, destroyed the palace of Gyeongbokgung and replaced it with office buildings.
 But, even though the Japanese soldiers then (emphasis on then because I'm not referring to present Japanese) shat and crapped on their country, their practices and culture now are so infused with Japanese that they kinda love them too. That is why Gyaru and Ulzzang is so similar because I think that Ulzzang is kind of a spin off of the Gyaru fashion.

Gyaru started in the 80s and Ulzzang came into fashion later, like around 2000 I guess. It is even said that Ulzzang follows the Himegyaru style. So as not to say "copied" and risk offending die-hard Ullzzangs, I'll settle for the word "patterned. fuck it still means copied. LOL.

So in a way, Koreans, maybe subconsciously is still trying to "turna japanisa" even though many of them hate being confused with the race. (Isn't it annoying for non-East Asians to confuse specific races?)

It will be kind of hard to understand if you don't live in a country that have been colonized "crappily" before. But since I'm from the Philippines I can totally relate to the love-hate relationship. We were colonized by the Spaniards for 300 years and then the Americans, and we've got a lot of Chinese here.. 

Now even though Filipinos have been so dead proud of their race lately many still cannot help highlighting their Spanish or Chinese descent, even if its only like 1/100 left on their blood. Like if they have a last name such as Zaragoza or Vergel de Dios they'd be like "My grandparents were Spanish", or if they're chinky eyed or have last names like "Lim", "Sy" or whatever they'd immediately identify themselves to be close of kin to well-known Chinoy business tycoons or politicians or just say that their some parts Chinese. 

And if your from the Philos, for sure you'd have met these people I am referring to, the pseudo half-Chinese, Half-Spanish, half-Filipino... huh? so that makes you One and a half? What the fuck? You're FILIPINO. No need to break down your blood line. It's really annoying... colonial mentality sucks.

And it all started with floral dresses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a filipino but a lot of my friends or people I just met says I might be half Japanese since my family name is Cutamora if not spelled out they mistook it was Kutamora also that I was always composed and stuff, I don't know, they just say I acted like I respect them too much that I'm unable to open myself to them well yeah it's true since my family does practices a bit of J culture. I agree with you that colonial mentality is wide spread in the country these days like the one direction concert this 2015 and that some have died because of extreme addiction. I also think that one of the cause of this terrifying things is that people from the filipino race don't have any diligence, resourcefulness and other more what I mean is they don't fight hard enough to discover what they are capable of. I have seen a some art, music etc. that is far more unique than K,J,American, and British culture but none of them have what filipino's have "hard work and survival" if only our fellow citizens have higher intelligence, knowledge ans self esteem they wouldn't be just dependent on what the other rich countries would offer us.

Anonymous said...

I'm a filipino but a lot of my friends or people I just met says I might be half Japanese since my family name is Cutamora if not spelled out they mistook it was Kutamora also that I was always composed and stuff, I don't know, they just say I acted like I respect them too much that I'm unable to open myself to them well yeah it's true since my family does practices a bit of J culture. I agree with you that colonial mentality is wide spread in the country these days like the one direction concert this 2015 and that some have died because of extreme addiction. I also think that one of the cause of this terrifying things is that people from the filipino race don't have any diligence, resourcefulness and other more what I mean is they don't fight hard enough to discover what they are capable of. I have seen a some art, music etc. that is far more unique than K,J,American, and British culture but none of them have what filipino's have "hard work and survival" if only our fellow citizens have higher intelligence, knowledge ans self esteem they wouldn't be just dependent on what the other rich countries would offer us.