Thursday, August 11, 2011

Korn Live in Manila Experience


My Korn roots before I talk about my Korn Live in Manila experience....

I was 9 years old when my cousin introduced me to Korn. I instantly fell in love with their music and most especially with their frontman Jonathan Davis. I was so inlove with him that it was safe to say I was obsessed.
Everyday, I listened to their songs on casette tape (I didn’t own a CD player until 1998), graffitied KoRn on just about everything I owned (or even things I didn’t own) and even took to writing HIV on my notebooks (which concerned my parents). I dressed a pillow in a red shirt with Korn written on it with a black marker and I used to wheel it around in a computer chair pretending it was Jonathan Davis. Also you will oftentimes see me wearing my navy blue Adidas sweat pants and matching Adidas shirt. Being really young at 9, I wasn’t sure if I wanted Jonathan Davis or I wanted to be him.
I admit I wasn't  the most faithful fan. I kinda stopped following Korn (as in I wasn't keeping myself updated on their endeavors anymore) after Follow the Leader (which I didn’t like as much as the first two), deeming “Issues” mediocre at best. 
All the same, I still had a special place on my playlist for their first three albums and most especially for my first love, Jonathan Houseman Davis. So when I learned that I will have a chance to see Korn Live in Manila I was super ecstatic! I will not miss this for the world!
The tickets for the best seats were expensive at 4,700 pesos, that was more than half of my monthly rent. We could only afford the tickets for upper box C which was around 1,500 but it doesn’t matter. I will be seeing Korn Live in Manila 14 years after I fell in love with them. FUCK YEAH!!
So how was it?


Jani, Hello Kitty (myself) and my cousin Dasya. Notice the empty seats! That's because Korn's concert was not properly promoted! A band this big deserved more press!! WTF Ovation! you suck!

My tweets while I anxiously waited for Korn and one tweet just when they were playing Blind.. which we couldn't hear properly.

It was beyond FUCKING AWESOME. I didn’t expect that Jonathan Davis would still have that magnetic effect on me. Now that I am 23 years old, I realize that I don’t want to BE him.. I WANT HIM. BAD. At 40 years old, he is so ridiculously SEXY, sexier than men half his age. Jonathan Davis is a SEX GOD. his voice, the way he moves, that man is a walking obscenity, not in a gross way, but in a SEXY way. Major GROUPIE MODE!!!!

That's the view from where we stood. Credit goes to Dasya as I was too busy acting like a complete baboon  to take photos. I was beyond insane!! Jonathan I'll have your fourth baby!! Fucking sexy beast! his voice was making love to me all the way to the upper box!

the view that I wanted. Credit goes to the Korn official website.  This is a n actual photo from  the Manila Concert. Lucky fuck who ever took this photo. ARGH!

What was disappointing was the overall turnout owing to how the "Korn Live in Manila" was produced.
Who opened for them? Slap FUCKING suck. I mean Slapshock.
What is the English term for Jologs? Baduy? post a comment if you know. SLAPSHOCK JOLOGS. Tae ng agent orange get up get up.
Dickies, headband, basketball jersey. ANOOO BAAA!! SLAPSHOCK’s very image screamed: RAKELITO. rakista ako. rak en roll. rakistang totoo.
GAGO Jologs nyo!!
WTF Slapshock. It was hilarious. The opening took forever! I think they played about 7 or 8 songs. Seriously. Not Kidding. I was almost in tears while shouting:
“TANGINAAAAAAAAAA!!! tama na!! I want Korn!!!”
After Slapsuck played probably their whole album, DJ Jeezass took the stage. That’s not really his name, he just looked like a goofy, rebonded version of our Lord and Saviour. Oh my God I love DJ Jeezass!! talk about a one man show!! hahaha


DJ Jeezas entertaining the crowd while fucking Ovation fixed dealt with technical shit.

So we guessed there were tech issues hence the delay. Everytime a roadie walked on stage we’d scream our hearts out (or maybe it was just me), everytime they turned off the lights I felt like I’d pee my pants. Korn came on stage at around past 9 I guess and the scheduled start was 8pm.
I was so anticipating Jon’s “AAAAAAAAAAAARE YOU REEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAADY??”
but the sounds weren’t as good where we were so we didn’t really hear him say those words. They didn’t even turn off the lights before Korn walked on stage to build up tension. Overall, they didn’t enter with a BANG like I anticipated they would.

The big display in the middle wasn’t even turned on and Jon’s mic sounded deaf to my ears. If I wasn’t such a big Korn fanatic, I would have hated every moment of it, but their presence on stage distracted me from all the technical fuck-ups.
They didn’t interact much with audience (disappointed me a bit) and I wished they played more from Korn (1994) and Life is Peachy... but STILL! they were so super awesome. I can’t believe how good they sounded Live. FUCK!!! 
They didn’t jump around together like they used to when they were younger but

their energy, especially for their age, was remarkable. And did I say how FUCKING SEXY JONATHAN DAVIS WAS?
Oh my god! I want to crawl up his kilt!!!
another thing that really bugged me were the people in front, the lucky bastards in the moshpit. They were so lame!! I mean they didn’t appear to be all that pumped to be there, so close to the Nu-metal gods. They just stood there with their cameras or camera phones taking videos. I mean, WTF??? I get that you want to record this moment but they looked absolutely bored from where I stood. I was so jealous and I just wanted to dive from the upper box into the moshpit! I mean we (my cousin, her friend and myself) were jumping up and down non-stop, singing along, pumping our fists and basically out of our heads ecstatic to be seeing Korn Live
.
How sad that the moshpit was half empty. And the few lucky people who were there looked like they were watching the opera. Seriously!! lamest crowd ever! SO JEALOUS!!! I wish I could afford patron tickets! I could have infected that boring crowd with my over the top energy.

The Arena was so bare too and most of the audience were packed in the general admissions. Ovation productions should have done something about this, I mean, how would it look to Korn to see a half-empty Arena?? What an insult and I felt embarrassed! I don’t want them to think Filipinos don’t love them!!
But the sad truth is (in my opinion!), Ovation Productions didn’t put much effort in accommodating as well as advertising the pioneer of Nu-Metal, one of the greatest bands to walk the Earth because they were busy with other upcoming (more profitable) concerts.
Imagine! they didn't advertise Korn's upcoming concert until late June! HELLO!! we are not a first world country, people here need time to save up for stuff like this! 4,700 is not a joke! If they could have advertised this concert maybe as much as they advertise American Fucking Idol the place won’t be half empty.
Plus the tech could have done a way better job!
Palbhasa busy sa tanginang American Idol na yan.
Ovation Productions sana mabasa nyo to! FYI! hindi lang basta banda ang Korn! kakainsulto yung preparation na ginawa nyo!
I want to weep in behalf of the Korn fans who felt that one of the greatest artists in the world were given such a crappy welcome. They may not be the most popular band today but they are Icons dammit! I don’t know this to be true, but from where Korn stood, we must have been the lamest audience.:(
I screamed my head off in hopes that they would hear me, for them to know how much I love them. I jumped as high as I could and shouted the words to their songs hoping upon hope that they would feel their fans’ love. 
Sorry Korn. :(
I love you guys! Including of course original members, Head and David. Please don’t hate the Philippines. :(

I hope Korn comes back despite the shitty Korn Live in Manila turn-out. But this time, it should be produced by those who actually LOVE the Band! and no boring people allowed.

Follow up: 

Okay so I was searching for #korn and @korn tags on Twitter when I saw @jmaping's tweet!
"#Munky signing my #TakeALookInTheMirror CD! @Korn meet and greet! pic.twitter.com/WkWFK2H"



A meet and greet???? OH MY GOD!!! I seriously cried when I learned that 5 lucky fans were given the chance to meet Korn, face to face!!! How was this not promoted?? I subscribe to Korn's official website and I do receive emails from them in my inbox and not my junk but I never received an announcement for this!

After googling it, I learned that a local record store (odysseylive.net) was responsible for this meet and greet! And they announced it via their Facebook fan page! I mean come on!!! Who keeps tabs on a record store's fanpage? WHO???

Had they announced it via Twitter I could have at least had a shot! (which wasn't hard apparently coz I saw their announcement a couple hours after the initial announcement that there were still 3 slots, and to think they were only giving away 5!!!) I have been searching #korn and @korn tags on Twitter every few hours EVERYDAY for the past month now and I read through everything so I know I could have been one of those lucky fucks! Damn! a meet and greet!!!

FML!!

22 comments:

justanotherinsomniac said...

I lol'ed at your Slapshock comment, I remembered when Sino sikat? opened for STP. Wtf? Wrong crowd man.

Lesson learned keep track of those lame music store fanpages next time.

Anyway those bad things doesnt matter man you were able to see Jonathan effin Davis and Korn. Thats like a once in a blue moon event if youre from the Phils.

jasper said...

https://plus.google.com/photos/103668538537282111425/albums/5639259189474548977

a few photos sa link sa taas.

anyways all 4 of them went sa meet and greet fieldy went on first, signed stuff shook hands and chatted a bit. then c jon davis naman "no photos pls" said a member of ovation, i actually expected this since nabasa ko na sa ibang forums na di daw tlaga nagpapa pic c davis. then came munky, he was by far the most talkative of the group, he chatted for some time woth me and my bro about jeepneys and tricycles,


a part of the conversation that i can remember:

Munky: "what do you call those long buses that i see everywhere?"
Me: "the one with all the designs and stuff? we call them jeepneys"
Munky: "... so every driver gets to design his jeep any way he wishes?"
Jairus: "yup! just like pimp my ride!"
Munky: LOL!
he also chatted for a long time with slapshock, mostly about them being at the dubai rock fest which korn was headlining

ray was also cool i asked him "how are you liking the phils so far?" he said "great to be here, hope you enjoy the show later."

when all of them left the room pinalabas na rin kami.

i actually got the invite for the meet and greet sa website nila mismo, before we even got out tickets i checked the tour section of the site to see if the rumors about them coming are legit. i saw the manila leg of the tour and beside it was a sign up button, me and my bro signed up and we got an email to wait for further instructions. the next day i checked the site again and wala na yung sign up button. no further instructions came so i thought baka di na tuloy. then morning of aug 10 i got an email from korn.com about the meet and greet. 6 kmi lahat na nandun sa meet and greet na nkakuha ng pass via korn.com nandun din yung group ng odyssey, slapshock, and iba pa.

jocylfroot said...

OMG!!! @Jasper!! kahit no photos please okay lang!! sana nagpapahug naman sya?? (i presume you didn't ask though.. haha) Ang DIVA talaga ni EACH DAY!! (that's what we call Jonathan Davis kasi yung isang cousin ko yun lng daw maintindihan nya sa Got the Life)

Yah si Munky talaga super ma PR... crowd pleaser as always. I love him! Where were you, sa Patron?? don't tell me sa Patron ka I will die of envy!! You are one lucky !@$%$^&*(_%!!! LOL

Ano yung pinamimigay ni Munky and Fieldy? picks?

Hindi na kasi ako nagchecheck mxdo ng website nila... nakita ko sa ETC ata or sa Jack TV yung promotion mga July na ata or late June. Wala man lang announcement tong si Korn sa Twitter diba.

Demmet. Di tuloy naka ready ng extra funds for Patron!!

Grabe walang kupas sila!!! Si Jonathan Davis oh my gawd!! ang sexy sexy pa din nya! namamatay nako sa upper box as in palpitate and hyperventilate tapos most of the crowd below chill lang sila. gusto ko na magDIVE!!

Yung tugtugan nila ang lagkit padin! Sayang wala yung Twist and mostly bago tinugtog nila, wala na kami alam sa bago. :) Pero maganda naman pala, Issues lang talaga sigur yung olats.

Si Fieldy ang cute naka-upo na nung patapos na haha yung guitarista sa likod... para syang si Head gumalaw...

smiling like a dork now. Jonathan Davis!!! AAAAH!!!

you're right @justanotherinsomniac im beyond happy that I saw them live!! I was pleasantly surprised that JD lost weight and his receding hairline kinda improved... hahaha. I was on major groupie mode after the concert!!

Kahit talsik lang sana ng pawis pwede na!! (haha kadiri)

See you next concert guys!! SANA... SANA!!

jocylfroot said...

@Jasper your pics are super awesome!!! (green eyed monster rearing its ugly head now...)

NEXT TIME!!! by hook or by crook talaga! And oh yeah!! @justanotherinsomniac I'll keep track of Odyssey now! as well as Tower records, audiovision(??) :)

I already signed up for Modlife coz I hear they also announce tour stuff, not just of Korn but other Music legends :)

Anonymous said...

nice blog! haha

IT WAS ON!

strolled down memory lane! 1994-1998 BABY!

i was unfamiliar with KORN's later stuffs (post Issues) hahaha sorry Korn

i went alone... would have loved to have my bestfriend with me but we're no longer close... haha

Jon Davis sounded fking AMAZING! i thought he no longer have it... sorry for doubting...

the Encore was fanfuckingtastic!

thumbs down- Ovation Productions, mosh pit crowd, Audio feedback, Slapshock, empty seats...

(they should have upgraded Lower Box to Patron (seated), Upper A to Lower Box, Upper B to Upper A... could be problematic for Gen Ad though since it could turn into chaos because of their huge number...)

jocylfroot said...

Anon,

hey I feel you! It was '96 for me, '94 and I would've been 7 LOL although, you're right, that's the release of their debut album. We were thinking along the same lines, we kinda hoped JD would ask those on in the upper box to come down. hahaha wishful thinking!

I know what you mean about doubting them! last I remember JD was a picture of a wasted pastry dough but not only did he look amazing but he sounded like his 20 somthing year old self!! and Munky and Fieldy too! they don't sound a day older then Who Then Now days! would've been sicko if they didn't break-up and we'd still get Head and David. but, oh well!

HOPE THEY COME BACK AND THIS TIME MORE STUFF FROM KORN '94 and LIFE IS PEACHY! TWIST! BALL TONGUE! KUNT! ADIDAS! FAGET(next time I hope he really does shout the "Faget" part instead of transitioning to a diff song) etc!

:)

Thanks for all the comments guys! Glad to know there were real fans there! (I assumed they were coerced to attend Korn coz most of the people and probably all those in the moshpit didn't look too happy!)

CHEERS!!

Anonymous said...

Nice read! I agree with your comment about the crappy mosh pit section crowd - that was the WORST part of the show for me! Seriously, they sucked (save for the dozen who tried their best despite the apathetic crowd) and are an embarrassment for any self-respecting Filipino rakista! I certainly won't pay P4,500+ for a "mosh pit section" ticket to just stand there!

Fact is, we in the middle and back (I was in Upper Box B btw) were sure as fuck MUCH MUCH MORE enthusiastic than they and if we were the ones in the pit, we would have had a big crazy mosh pit for them to savor which possibly would have led to a longer concert! It would have been fine for the lame zombies to be the way they are if the venue wasn't Araneta but instead a place like Amoranto, ULTRA open field, Rizal Stadium or A-Venue or World Trade Center because the people in the middle and back section (where most hard rock and metal show mosh pits tend to happen based on my experience and observation) could have at least compensated!

Anyway if Korn ever came back I hope they ditch Araneta Coliseum and go for a standing-room and/or outdoor venue and probably have Pulp sponsor them instead! If so, they'll see what the TRUE Filipino rakista is all about! :)

Anonymous said...

PS: When I meant "where most hard rock and metal show mosh pits tend to happen" I meant the shows in the Philippines, just to clarify that bit of my comment, thanks! :)

jonathan said...

Agreed!
Sad to say but I was in that crowd..I met some other guys and we started a bit of a mosh pit,but the rest..well, you know it already..so it died down instantly..so then I just rocked the hell out of myself in KoRn's music! a good thing lang is with the bald guy who crowd-surfed..
pagbaba niya eh nasipa niya yung isang poser shit na bitch right in the FACE!!!
irony lang kasi most of the peeps na katabi ko were all in black like doomsdays metal and i was wearing semiformal (i came straight from my school) but when KoRn started playing eh parang wala lng..Leche talaga!
hope KoRn will still hold a concert dito sa mahal kong Pilipinas..and next time sana iwaksi na yung mga kumukuha ng footage!Ano ba pinunta ninyo?magcam o magmosh?bwisit kayo!
I enjoyed the concert though..dripping wet in sweat ako after!
if KoRn will do a show again dito, sana mga true FUKs (Fans Uv KoRn) na yung pumunta..

jocylfroot said...

@Jonathan (love your name) hahaha!!! Very true! I look very girly talaga, as in if you see me, it won't even cross your mind that I would even know the genre na Metal so Natawa naman ako when I arrived na may dresscode pla dun. Hindi lng dresscode: UNIFORM! requirement naka-itim? kelangan naka skate shoes? kelangan butas2X jeans? kelangan di pa naliligo?

Tapos pag dating naman sa loob ang dedemure pala HALA!

Nakakatampo. Nagtweet ang Korn about their trip to Japan and Hawaii. Never once did they mention Manila. BAWI tayo next time ha!

Subscribe na kayo sa Modlife kasi mas madalas sila mag notify about tours kesa sa Korn Website.

Sa open field nlng kasi dapat lecheng di naman si Tita Celine Dion ang magcocncert bakit ba me seats pa!

Xiaxue said...

You are still a bitch. Nevertheless you blocked me on twitter. Fuck you.

jocylfroot said...

Fuck me? In your dreams you troll..

Anonymous said...

Moshpit at tunay na headbangan ba gusto nyo? Magpunta kayo sa concert ng Children of Bodom sa November. Kung hindi nyo sila kilala I pity you, kayo pala ang poser.

jocylfroot said...

I know who they are, doesn't mean I like them. I like Korn, doesn't mean I have to like all other Metal Bands. From what I can gather from my blog post, I'm an obsessed KORN fan. sabi ko ba metal fan? sabi ko ba na gusto ko ng "hardcore headbangan"? basahin mo kasi muna bago magcomment. Di kasi na-shoot eh.

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: Would love to perpetually get updated outstanding web blog ! .

Anonymous said...

I was happy though... I was one of the lucky fans that stood so right in-front of JON DAVIS. And Mr. Fieldy even got the taste of my friendly "FUCK U" finger sign- at least he could remember something from a filipina. Thanks KORN for making my visit to Manila memorable. =)

love,

elspeth jill rago

Anonymous said...

I'm not commenting about your blog, I'm commenting about the comments here! You complain about posers at lame crowds pati yung ayaw magheadbang, tapos ganyan ang defend mo? Ikaw ang magbasa ng comment ko, ang sabi ko kung hanap nyo headbangan dahil hindi nyo talaga yan makikita yan sa Korn lang. Ikaw ata ang di nakashoot. Sa tunay na metal band nyo yan makikita, hindi sa nu-metal band. Talunan lang ang pwede nyong asahan sa mga nu-metal bands. Magreview kayo ng mga comment nyo dyan para ma-SHOOT mo comment ko.

Anonymous said...

@jonathan, Nasipa kamo sa mukha yung poser? Eh natural naman sa mosh pit na magkasakitan, noob ka sa ganyan ano? Sa pulp summerslam ng tumugtog ang testament at lamb of god, may nasuntok, nasipa sa likod, napilayan at kung ano-ano pa. So bakit naninibago ka kung may nasipa? Minsan kung sino yung sumisigaw na poser ang ibang tao, sila pala yung totoong poser. Haha

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: I was very happy to seek out this net-site. I wished to thank in your time for this glorious read! I definitely enjoying each little bit of it. Can I simply say what a reduction to find someone who actually is aware of what they are talking about on the internet. It's laborious to search out knowledgeable individuals on this subject however you definitely know easy methods to convey an issue to light and make it important. Extra folks have to read this and perceive this facet of the story. I cant believe youre not more standard since you undoubtedly have the gift. however you sound like you understand what you're speaking about. Additionally, I simply gave this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he reality is bought me breakfast outcome I discovered it for him. So let me reword that: Thanks for the deal with and for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If attainable, would you mind updating your weblog with more particulars? Its highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog submit!

jocylfroot said...

Mr Anonymous: Ikaw na talaga ang maraming alam, at ikaw lang ang tama sa lahat pati na rin ang nag-iisang totoong metal fan. Alam mo lahat na nangyayari sa isang concert. lahat ng nagcomment bago sayo mga poser at walang alam. Pati ako isang mang-mang na poser lamang. Ikaw ang metal god. isa kang metal freak. full metal jacket. siguro ikaw ang founder ng banda na Manowar. BOW. next time tatandaan ko yang sinabi mo na sa metal band lang may headbangan at sa nu-metal puro talunan. isa yan sa mga reminders na na-miss ko. tulad ng notice na "please wear black shirt" sa mga concert. lagi kasi ako naka-puti.. minsan naka dress pa.

BTW, sapagkat blog ko to, malamang yung comments i-aassume ko na directed sa post ko. Agree? Salamat sa pag drop-by oh your metaloid highness

Norms said...

Oo, hindi masyado npromote ang Korn concert,1 week b4 ng gig ko lng sya nalaman, salamat sa tropa kong nag yaya sakin. About sa Slapshock, tang ina parang binastos ang Korn nung sila nag open. Isa ko sa mga pinalad na makapwesto sa harap ng Korn. May nagbenta lang samin sa labas ng Araneta ng patron ticket, tang ina PHP800 lang namin na-score. Oo lame ang moshpit, mabibilang mo lang kung ilan kami natatatalon at nagheheadbang. nagkaron ng konting slam nung tinugtog nila "Ball Tongue". pero hangang don na lng. inenjoy n lng namin ng tropa ang event, wala na kami pakialam kung ayaw nila magsigalaw. Sino b yang Anonymous na nagcocomment dito, akala mo kung sinong madaming alam. Ilan taon ka na b boy? 1995 pa lng Korn fan na ko. Yung mga oras na nakikinig ka ng Boyzone, Hanson at Spice Girls, Korn na ko. May Testament ka pa nalalaman. Ano paborito mong album ng Testament? Fan ka ng Lamb of God, cguro age mo around 25, masyado ka pa totoy sa mundo ng metal.

Anonymous said...

I really like and appreciate your blog post. Cool.