I searched for Recipes online and I found that it varies so instead of following one, I decided to make my own.
Flour (I kept adding flour when it gets too sticky and just added more ingredients accordingly...)
Baking Powder (1 tsp. is to 1 cup of flour)
lemon extract (I added about 1 teaspoon.. just enough to give it a slight hint)
Honey (I don't know how much I poured in there, maybe about 5 Tbsp. per 1 1/2 cups flour don't put too much though as you don't want it to attract ants! remember that it needs to stay fresh for months!)
Butter (maybe less than a stick? just enough to bring all the ingredients together)
a pinch of salt
Water to bring ingredients together
- preheat oven to 220 celsius
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt
- chop butter in and knead.. Add water to bring eveything together. if it's all sticky just add a bit of flour
- add lemon extract and honey
- continue mixing ingredients together by kneading until its all homogenous.. keep adding flour when it gets all gooey and sticky
- When the dough is perfect (the dough should feel dry and not at all sticky despite the fact that its all stuck together)
- Separate into rectangular portions and lay on baking sheets. With a knife, draw an X on each piece
- bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown
- Cool and wrap in Mallorn leaves
Mallorn leaves I made using colored paper. I drew the veins using a green sharpie and shaded a bit with green crayon.
Buttery goodness with a hint of lemon and honey! yum!